36 Questions: SET 1

I came across an article about accelerating intimacy between strangers by simply asking 36 Questions. This works on the premise of mutual vulnerability as each person lets off his/her guard and reveals his/her beliefs, experiences, and even dreams to the other.

I've never used these with someone and I don't have plans to in the near future, but just for the sake of it, I'm taking a shot at answering these personal questions:

Set 1:

1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?

I've always been fascinated by Malala Yousafzai. I admire her for her courage to stand up for what she believes in, whatever the odds may be. She is a real inspiration and I would like to know where her passion comes from at such a young age.

2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?

If being famous means having a celebrity status or to that extent, then I don't like to be famous because I don't want to be subject to people's scrutiny all the time. It would feel like I couldn't be stupid or be silly because people would criticize me for sure. I can be quite sensitive when it comes to negative feedback so I think I'd feel really bad reading comments from bashers about me and my work.

The kind of fame that I like is just within a small community, wherein I would be known for the good that I've done and would always be remembered even when I'm gone.

3. Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?

Not really. I just make sure that I have a definite purpose for making the call.

4. What would constitute a “perfect” day for you?

A perfect day is being with the people I love and we're just carefree and enjoying each other's company regardless of where we are or what we're doing.

5. When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?

I always bring my phone and play music in the bathroom so I can sing and dance inside! To someone else? Never. But I would want to.

6. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the mind or body of a 30-year-old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?

I would prefer the body of a 30-year-old because I still want to do a lot of things and I would need the youthful energy for it.

7. Do you have a secret hunch about how you will die?

I think I will die from a severe illness, specifically cancer. If I get diagnosed, I wouldn't bother getting treated anymore because it would only be a waste of money trying to prolong my life when my chances of survival is bleak. Other people could have better use for that money I would have spent for treatment.

8. Name three things you and your partner appear to have in common.

Not applicable

9. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?

I feel grateful for being relatively healthy, having a normal life, and enjoying some comforts. What I have now is still far from what I aspire but I hope I'd get there soon.

10. If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?

My parents raised me well by instilling the right values, but it would have been much better if they explored my potential in arts or sports when I was younger.

11. Take four minutes and tell your partner your life story in as much detail as possible.

I have really fun memories of my childhood. I grew up in a small, tight-knit community where everyone was part of one big family. All the other kids were my playmates and we would go out and play almost every day. We would play Chinese garter, compete in a 'beauty contest', dance in the rain, eat the nectar of santan flowers, climb trees, or pretend like we were adults in a game of 'bahay-bahayan'. Since I started school, my parents have always had great expectations on me when it comes to excelling academically. We would get some good spanking if we ever turned up a poorly scored exam. My dad would make us write the entire multiplication table on the mirror and if we made a mistake, we'd get a taste of the belt. The reward and punishment system worked well for me though because it made me realize that all my actions have consequences, whether good or bad, and of course, I only want good outcomes that's why until now, I'm trying to live my life accordingly.

Growing up, I didn't have a lot of luxuries compared to my other colleagues. My family's only breadwinner then was my father and there were times when he didn't have a project so we had to be satisfied with the little that we have. With this, I have learned to become more resilient and more patient.

Fortunately, I got scholarships for my secondary and tertiary education, so I was able to study in reputable schools despite our lack of resources. After graduating, I was given an opportunity to work for an insurance company as a management trainee. Now, I've already been in the business for 8 years and still learning along the way. I hope to see myself progress in this field, but if there is a chance for me to work in an international aid organisation, I wouldn't think twice about taking it because it is something I really want to do.

12. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability, what would it be?

I want the ability to read minds because with this, I won't have to experience misunderstandings with anyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the social-life-depriving exams

could this be the end of my drinking career?